dimanche 18 mars 2012

Mbilia Bel - Phenomene (1989)

In late 1989 my partner Jess and I prepared to go see Mbilia Bel at a Bay Area club. We gently filled our infant first son's ears with cotton, and then swaddled his head in bright African cloth. He fit perfectly into a large New Guinean string bag in a miniature sleeping bag. At the dynamic gig we took turns holding him, dancing as well as we could. Many of the songs we danced to are on this album, which was new at the time, published in the U.S. It brings me bittersweet memories, as life's changes can transform memory.

I bought this record at the gig, and came to love the song Manzil-Manzil. In fact the whole album is deeply imbedded in my core.

It finally made it to CD in Europe, ten or so years ago, and perhaps it still is available there. I urge you you search for it. Meanwhile I offer this gem to the rest of the world because it should not be missed: Neither the music, nor the great cover picture that did not make the digital release.

1 commentaire:

Remarque : Seul un membre de ce blog est autorisé à enregistrer un commentaire.